Wednesday 20 January 2016

Birthday's on a budget

My son Chase on his 1st birthday
Nobody likes to think they're having to budget for someone's birthday, especially their own children's. Unfortunately in this day and age we haven't all got the funds to be buying our teenager, or indeed our 6 year old, the latest gadget. So how can we combat the feeling of guilt for not spending as much as the 'Jonses' up the road? Well, it's simple really, the gift of time is the one they will remember more than the latest fad, (that will probably be forgotten when replaced with the shinier newer version they year after.) I remember when my eldest, Olivia, was 6. I planned a cinema trip, something a lot of people do on a weekend for fun, however I told her we were going for a girly night out, just me and her. We spent the afternoon getting dolled up, doing our hair, putting lippy on and got in the car.
Olivia on her 6th birthday ready to go out
She was so excited, not knowing where she was going and that she was on a 'girl's night out'. I took her to Mcdonald's, which she was very happy with and then onto the cinema. We watched Shrek the 3rd, actually that's a lie, I watched Shrek the 3rd. Olivia thought when the adverts had finished it was time to go! She played musical chairs and asked constantly is it finished yet (maybe not the best of ideas!) But the point being, she still to this day (she's 14 almost 15 now) remembers our night out. Would she have remembered getting the pink Nintendo D.S she really wanted that I couldn't afford? Does she remember being disappointed she didn't get it? No. She just remembers the fun night out she had with mummy. I can guarantee you any moment you make special will be remembered and even carried on for generations to come. Try it when you are stuck for something to buy, even if it's because they have too much and you don't know what to buy them. You don't have to be skint to make memories, rich people can be happy too.....
My daughter Neve on her 4th birthday

No comments:

Post a Comment