Wednesday 28 October 2015

Slash the cost of Halloween!

With the spooky celebration looming, the children are getting excited and I have to admit so am I! I'm such a big kid I love an excuse to get the scissors and glue out. Having fun with the kids in the holidays doesn't have to cost a fortune. In fact the more effort you put in the less it will cost. I'm going through my black card rather fast this year luckily it was only around £3 from Amazon. I have spent £9 in the Poundshop on a few table accessories and some decorations to add to the ones I've made (mainly out of cheap bin bags) and the house is looking very creepy indeed.
















Now the food for your party can be amazingly spooky too with a few tips.

350g plain flour 
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp bicarbinate soda
100g butter
175g brown sugar
1 egg 
4 tbsp golden syrup


My ginger zombies were so easy to make and very tasty too! Preheat your oven to 190
Putting the flour, ginger and bicarb into a bowl, rub in the butter
Add the sugar and stir in the syrup and egg to make a dough
Roll out onto a floured work surface about 5mm thick and cut out your zombies (I just used a gingerbread man cutter and snapped limbs off when cooked)
Cook on a tray lined with baking paper for 10-15 mins and decorate as you choose when cool.
For the scary strawberries it was simply melted white chocolate and some of the icing from decorating the zombies to draw in their shocked faces.
                                      
Get a plain old biro to draw on the satsumas the skin comes off anyway let your imagination run wild! Get the kids involved too.
                                      
These apple mummies were so effective. I found some bandages out of an old first aid kit in the cupboard and wrapped them round and stuck some eyes on. Let's just hope no-one needs a bandage now! I hope these tips help you to have a fun, happy and mainly inexpensive Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment