Friday 12 August 2016

Betty's Bakewell Tart


Everyone in the world needs a Betty. If you could bottle her spirit it would be the best tonic in the world! I'm talking about my friend Betty Wilson. When trying to think of how to describe what she does I'm at a loss to find the words. Yes, she used to do tarot readings, yes, she speaks with spirit and yes over the years of her life she has helped many people dead and alive but to me she is so much more than a clairvoyant, medium or psychic. She has been a rock, a guide and a guardian angel! My life has had many ups and downs and I've often felt very different to everyone I meet, that was up untiI I met Betty. She gave me a reading years ago and it was full of lovely things that were coming my way, low and behold it all turned out to be true. I'm happily married now with 3 children and 2 step-children. Thanks to the wisdom, guidance and a general shoulder to cry on that Betty offered over the last few years, I truly believe I have grown more as a person than I had in my life before she was in it. I do things now, that I wouldn't have dared or even imagined I could do, all because she tells me I can. She has been such a rock to me and never asks anything in return, as all she tells me is she gets all the happiness from seeing how I grow. The one thing she loves is a bakewell tart and I promised her I would make her one, it's the least I can do. She is a true friend, a real life angel and my guiding star so Betty's tart is my tribute to her.
For the pastry:
200g plain flour
100g unsalted cold cubed butter
100g icing sugar
30ml milk
Place all the ingredients in a bowl.
Run your hands under the cold tap for a minute as this helps with the rubbing process.
When you have dried your hands rub the butter into the flour until there are no lumps left and the mixture resembles crumbs.

At this point pour in the milk and stir with a blunt knife for roughly a couple of minutes until the dough forms a ball.
Knead the dough on a floured surface and make a smooth ball.
Clingfilm and pop into the freezer while you make the filling.
For the filling:
100g unsalted softened butter
100g sugar
100g ground almonds
Tsp almond essence
2 egg yolk
2 tbsp jam mixed until runny
Flaked almonds to top.

Beat the butter until it is soft and add the sugar.
Mix until fluffy and add the ground almonds, almond essence and egg yolks and combine.
Roll out your firm pastry ball until nice and thin.            
                                       

Carefully draping the pastry over your rolling pin place your dish underneath and trim the edges.
Spread your runny jam over the base.
Spoon in your filling and spread evenly and preheat the oven to 200.
As I had enough pastry left I rolled a long rectangle and cut out some lengths to make a lattice topping for the tart. Before assembling the top sprinkle on the flaked almonds.
Bake for 15 minutes at 200 then turn the oven down to 150 for a further 10-15 minutes.
Dust with icing sugar, serve with a fresh cup of coffee and say a little thank you to Betty Wilson for this fine treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment