Sunday 1 November 2015

Bonfire bangers 'n' mash with a twist

So we've got Halloween over with I hope you all had an amazing time now for bonfire night. I usually do chilli and jackets but you could give this a try if you have guests to feed, just have a load of creamy mash made up ready and keeping warm in the oven and cook your sausages as you need them. Who doesn't love sausage and mash! Well I will tell you how to make it even more tasty with the help of a red onion and some red wine. I know, I know...not many of us have leftover wine to cook with. I actually don't drink red so I buy the little bottles for £1 in Asda, or if my dad's been round and left some of his I steal that (sorry dad!). It really doesn't have to be expensive wine I've tried it with the cheapest and it was still as tasty. So here's my recipe for caramelised red onion gravy the perfect partner for bonfire bangers and mash! The quantities will make enough gravy for 4 so adjust accordingly. Enjoy!
2 large red onions sliced
Butter and oil for frying
Sugar white/brown if you have it tbsp
Flour heaped tbsp
1 small bottle red wine (or however much/little you fancy/is left)
1 pint beef stock (couple of oxos)

In a frying pan on a medium heat melt a knob of butter with a drizzle of oil and place sliced onions in pan with the sugar.
Cook for 15 mins until soft.
Add flour and stir in coating the onions.
Pour in your red wine and stock gradually stirring constantly and turn the heat up slightly so it bubbles.
Let it simmer for 5 mins until reduced slightly  and then serve when it's ready!







No comments:

Post a Comment