Sunday 22 November 2015

Bargain beef bourguignon

After a very successful teatime shop at Lidl I managed to bag some great bargains! Among them I got lots of meat including a great big pork carvery joint for Christmas for just £6.99 (last year I paid £14 for the same joint!) and some stewing steak reduced. We have not long had a steak pie so I wanted to do something different so I thought I would do beef bourguignon. I'm sure there will be wine snobs out there demanding I rename it as I haven't used Burgundy but I wanted to prove you can have a tasty meal without using the expensive ingredients. Of course the more expensive and tastier the wine, the tastier the meal, but I had no complaints and I used a £2.99 bottle of house red. This meal is such a delicious winter warmer. You can serve with a pile of creamy mash, or in a bowl on its own with crusty bread. My husband demanded a pastry lid so mine was a pie. What hubby wants....

                                                
Pack stewing steak
5 shallots sliced/ or 2 onions
2 carrots sliced
300g mushrooms chopped
Tsp dried or fresh thyme 
75cl bottle red wine
Flour 
                                                
Coat the meat in flour seasoned with pepper and fry in a hot pan with tbsp oil until browned.
Transfer into a deep pan.
In the same pan you browned the meat, add the chopped vegetables, thyme and a glass of the red wine to deglaze the bottom of the pan.
Cook these for about ten minutes or so then add to the pan with the meat.
Pour in the whole bottle of red (okay no-one will notice a glass missing wink wink!)

                                                       
When it begins to simmer leave for at least 2 hours on a very low heat.
When you come to serve if it needs thickening add some gravy granules or corn flour.
                                     

No comments:

Post a Comment